Sunday, March 8, 2009

Slumdog No More!

That Slumdog Millionaire received Best Picture at the recent Academy Awards has raised eyebrows both here and abroad. Knowing that I would be traveling back to India, I thought it to be a good opportunity to explore the phenomena that seems to have overtaken both L.A.'s Hollywood and Mumbai's Bollywood and their respective self-absorbed denizens. Hollywood seems intent on glamorizing the underdog while voices in India express some resentment that the movie industry is accentuating their poverty.

However, my recent trips to India have confirmed to me that the depictions of the Slumdog movie are very, very real. Beginning with my rough and tumble ride from the airport, each pause for traffic snarls or a stoplight would produce waif's at my window...pleading with unintelligible mumbling for money or food. The taxi and tuk-tuk drivers were content to let them harass their passengers with nary a signal to motion them away.
Just moments before a million dollar smile graced their faces when I passed a simple 100 Rupee note ($2.00 US) through the opening of my tuk-tuk.
On a Saturday afternoon, these boys were hanging out in what could have been a beautiful park...if only there were a little more pride in the upkeep. I asked them to smile for the camera but the smiles were difficult to muster. Life to them is very, very solemn as they struggle to live on US$2 per day.
After putting in a 5 mile run through the polluted and crowded streets of Delhi, I flagged down a tuk-tuk for a quick jaunt to the Market Place. The crowds were immense, the prices depressed and the quality of goods suspect. In addition to the numerous stalls that lined the alleyways were a legion of 6 to 9 year olds...each hawking their own measly gadgets. I was an easy target and dare not make eye contact lest I immediately grow an extra appendage.
However, there was one child that caught my attention...not because of his wares but because of him as a person. The eight year old boy was clean, well-dressed, spoke very good English and was cleverly engaging. Sumkhit was name and he was a vendor of beaded necklaces made by his own hands. I thought to buy one or two as a reward for him rather than a need for myself. But prior to giving him a few rupees, I allowed him to be my guide to the different kiosks around the Market. I offered to buy a few strands and he pleaded that I buy more. For if he could just make 500 rupees (US $10) he would be able to close up shop and head off to school. While I fully intended to be the benefactor of his daily quota, I playfully made him work for it. It was obvious to the other child vendors that Sumkhit had a big fish on the line. They tagged along with us as we made our way through the maddening crowds. But rather than try to compete with wares of their own, they spoke to me in support of their friend. "He's a good boy!" said one of the younger children in broken English. "You know, mister, he goes to school!" said another. At last the transaction was about to occur but not without a photo together with my new friend. Sumkhit was determined that the Slumdog label would not define who he is or what he was striving to become. I have no doubt that this entrepreneurial young lad will succeed at what he envisions.
My new friend Sumkhit at the conclusion of our business transaction
That was Saturday. On Sunday I was able to find my way to a local branch of the Mormon Church where I witnessed the most inspiring moments. It was the first Sunday and so members of the Branch were allowed to stand and bear their testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was a reaffirmation that the gospel is truly being taken to all corners of the world. Testimony meeting was filled with impassioned words from youth and adult alike. There were no "rote" testimonies but rather emotional renderings of the heart. While English was broadly spoken, it was not uncommon for the person to break into Hindi to more fully convey their thoughts.
A young father and his daughter investigating the church on Sunday morning.
The North India mission was recently dedicated by Dallin H. Oakes. While the mission includes Pakistan, Bangladesh and Norther India--Elder Oakes indicated that all emphasis would be centered in Delhi. There are six branches and 700 members with over 100 converts in just the past 12 months. Most converts come from a Christian background but many Hindus are receiving the gospel as well.
Aarti Choundarg and her daughter Nandini were baptized the night before. 14 year old Nandini stood and bore her testimony of the happiness that had come into their lives as her mother wiped away tears with her Sari.
A young missionary from Star Valley, Wyoming indicated that there will be an explosion of growth once the Church opens up a Hindi speaking mission. "They are so focused on family and understand the gospel message. But with their lack of education in the English language, they are unable to communicate."

India is truly a study in contrasts. From the pitiful nature of the begging children with hands extending into my taxi and tuk-tuk to the maturity and gratitude for a promising life from young Nandini. To remove the dogma of "slumdog" requires not only a will to do so but also a way. For those 150 people in the meeting house on Sunday morning, the way was clear.

5 comments:

Vonnie said...

I loved reading your observations Trace. Thanks for sharing such wonderful stories.
Also, Happy belated Birthday!!! It looks like you celebrated your birthday in India...did you??? I hope you get home safely and that a piece of your favorite birthday treat is waiting for you.

Stacey said...

I wish I experience what so many of the population live like on a day in day out basis. $10 to this little boy is not even like a $100 to us since we also live in peace, comfort, beautiful homes and with education at our fingertips. Bless his heart. I will let the kids read this in the morning. I can just see you acting out your "role" as the costumer working a bargain. Great experiences, but I know it's hard being so far away from home....and a decent gym....oh, and Annie!

Jamie Jo said...

I wish my computer would load all the pictures! It doesn't always work on everyones pics. Oh well. The words are what matter. Like Stac, I could envision you with your tan skin, sparkling eyes, and smile making the little boy work for his pay and having a following of children behind you. How sweet that rather then compete they complimented their fellow "business man." Interesting the school was something to brag about, rather then something kids take for granted, like they do in my very home. It makes you marvel at what some people have for their earth life experiences compared to others. I guess I shouldn't whine so much that my house isn't decorated to the nines. I love you, Dad.

SaraPete said...

It is so sad that so much of the world live in poverty....we are so lucky! What a neat story about that little 8 year old boy. I bet you made his year by taking an interest in him! Also I had no idea that the church was doing so well there...that is amazing!!

Sidney said...

Thanks Trac for your window to the world. Loved the story of the boy. I like to think that there are many like him getting chances through the Churches perpetual education fund project.